THE SAFE RIDE GUIDE – the safe ride guide for safe travel in taxis and hire cabs in and around St Albans
The “Safe Ride Guide” has been produced by St Albans District Council’s Licensing Department to explain the basic rules concerning taxis and licensed cars.
Its purpose is to help you travel more safely – and to be on your guard against illegal “pirate operators”.
Remember – choose a licensed taxi or hire car ……. and be safe not sorry!
(Also called Hackney carriages or Black cabs)
- A yellow licence plate on the rear.
- The licence number displayed inside.
- A fare meter with illuminated hire sign.
- A fare chart displayed inside.
- Usually a radio system linked to an operators base.
- Wait (rank up) designated ranks.
- Be flagged down.
- Often have wheelchair access.
NOTE: All drivers must be wearing a badge showing their license number and its date of expiry. These vehicles and their drivers are controlled by very stringent bylaws and licensing conditions. Their fare meters are checked regularly.
Meters must always be used to journey within the District of St Albans. For all other journeys the fare is negotiable with the driver before the start of the journey. St Albans District Council sets the fares and the vehicles are checked regularly.
Only St Albans Licensed taxis can rank up or be flagged down in the District of St Albans.
Licensed hire cars
(Also called mini-cabs and private hire vehicles)
- A green licence disc on the rear and internal plate.
- Usually a radio system linked to the operators base.
- Rank up or otherwise make itself publicly available for hire.
- Be flagged down.
- Advertise as a “taxi” or a “cab”
Licensed Hire cars must be pre-booked by telephone or personal visit to the Operator’s premises. All drivers must be wearing a badge with the license number and its date of expiry. Any private hire vehicle is flagged down, ranked up or plying for hire is breaking the law. The cost of hiring should be agreed before the start of the journey. Licensing conditions controls the drivers and the Licensed Hire Car Operators (the radio base). Vehicles are checked regularly.
- Make sure before entering the vehicle that the vehicle is displaying a licence plate and make a note of the number.
- Ask the driver to show you his badge and make a note of the number.
- Check that the vehicle is from the firm you booked it with. (they often have door stickers).
If you have any queries, complaints or would like more information, please contact:-
The Hackney Carriage Officer
P.O. box 2
St Peters Street
St Albans, Herts AL1 3JE
UNLICENSED (ILLEGAL) VEHICLES HAVE NOT BEEN EXAMINED BY THE COUNCIL FOR SAFETY AND ROAD WORTHIESS, MAY NOT HAVE A CURRENT M.O.T. AND ARE UNLIKELY TO BE INSURED TO CARRY PASSENGERS FOR HIRE.
This leaflet has been issued by the Hackney carriage Office St AlbansDistrict Council.
Once again this high lights why this Great Capital is in such a mess because even St Albans council understands how to implement the law in regards to Private Hire Ranking up and Plying for Hire.
TFL have let this Great Capital fall into the gutter!!