Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park summer concerts
This weekend there are two concerts in the northern section of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (QEOP), these are:
– Saturday 29/06/2013, Hard Rock Calling – Kasabian
– Sunday 30/06/2013, Hard Rock Calling – Bruce Springsteen
The taxi arrangements for each day will be reviewed and changes made where necessary but at present are as follows:
– Meridian Square taxi rank will operate as normal
– Taxi marshals will be at Meridian Square and Station Street from 21:00
– A feeder rank will operate in Station Street from 21:00 – this is the same arrangement as was in place during the Olympic and Paralympic Games and from 21:00 drivers should go to Station Street first and then wait until the marshals advise them to move forward to Meridian Square
– From 07:00 in the morning a temporary taxi rank will operate of the southern side of International Way, taxis should rank facing westwards. When using this rank drivers must not stop on the zebra crossings and these should be kept clear at all times. Drivers will be able to access International Way from Montfichet Road and also leave via Montfichet Road.
Head of the taxi rank in International Way
– Westfield Avenue will be closed all day
– The northbound lane of Montfichet Road will be closed but the southbound lane will operate as two separate lanes – one northbound and one southbound
More information about events at the QEOP can be found here Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
Following discussions between us and the London Borough of Islington about a taxi rank for Charterhouse Street, the borough are conducting a consultation on a proposal for a rank.
If you would like to comment on this proposal and state whether you support the idea of a late night taxi rank in Charterhouse Street then you can find the consultation here http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/charterhousestreet
The closing date for replying is 28 June 2013.
Wimbledon Tennis Championships 2013
As we move into the second week of Wimbledon here is a reminder of the taxi rank arrangements during the tournament:
Southfields Station– There will be a taxi rank (rank no. 5636) for 19 taxis in Augustus Road, near Southfields Station, offering shared taxi trips to the Wimbledon Tennis Championships
– The taxi rank in Wimbledon Park Road, near Southfield Station (rank no. 5619) will not operate during the Championships
– Shared taxi trips from the Wimbledon Station taxi rank to the Wimbledon Tennis Championships will be operating
– Marshals are expected to be at the Southfields and Wimbledon station ranks in the morning on tournament days
– Passengers going to the tennis should be dropped off at the rank in Church Road, outside Gate 4
Wimbledon Tennis Club – Church Road
– There will be a taxi rank (rank no. 5587) for 30 taxis in Church Road (outside Gate 4) where spectators will be able to take shared taxi trips to Southfields and Wimbledon stations. The rank will also operate normally for passengers wishing to travel to central London and other destinations. – The rank will also be the drop-off point for all taxi passengers and stopping elsewhere on Church Road is not permitted
Wimbledon Tennis Club – Somerset Road
– There will be a taxi rank (rank no. 5588) for 8 taxis in Somerset Road (outside Gate 13) offering shared taxi trips to Wimbledon Station and operating normally for passengers wishing to travel to Central London and other destinations
– Marshals are expected to be at the Church Road and Somerset Road ranks from 17:00 onwards
Drivers are reminded that taxis must not be left unattended on ranks at any time.
2 spaces in Somerset Road will be allocated for pre-booked taxis.
Taxi sharing arrangements
Shared taxi fares
For shared taxi trips between Wimbledon or Southfields station and the tennis the fare payable per passenger is:
– £2.50 for adults
– £1.25 for children between 2 and 10 years old
– Children under 2 travel free
It is an offence to charge more than the prescribed fare and fares for unshared taxis cannot be negotiated in advance that would be more than the metered fare.
Journeys to other locations
Sharing is only authorised:
– From the taxi ranks at Wimbledon Station and on Augustus Road near Southfields Station to the tennis tournament ground by Gate 4, Church Road
– From outside Gate 4 at the tennis ground to either of the two stations
– From Somerset Road outside Gate 12 of the tennis ground to Wimbledon Station
We’ve received reports about drivers continuing to park in the old taxi rank in Station Lane, Hornchurch and also parking on the pavement outside Ask restaurant. Drivers must not park in the old taxi rank as this has been revoked and so they risk being issued with a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).
London Bridge bus station closure – date change
The dates the for upcoming London Bridge bus station closure have been changed and the station will now be closed from 01:00 on Saturday 6 July until 05:00 on Monday 8 July 2013 to allow a tower crane to be erected. During the closure the temporary taxi rank arrangements in Tooley Street, which have been used for previous closures, will be in operation. Taxi marshals will also be present and all drivers should follow the directions of the marshals.
Bressenden Place – taxi drop offs
If you are dropping off passengers for Eland House, Portland House or other buildings in the area please do not stop next to or just in front of the lorry holding area on Bressenden Place. Passengers have been leaving taxis and then walking through the lorry holding area but this is not safe.
A dedicated taxi drop-off space has now been provided on Bressenden Place, before the lorry holding area.
Works at Palestra
Between mid-July to October 2013 there will be works around Palestra with the works starting on the side of the building facing Blackfriars Road, meaning that the nearside southbound traffic lane will be suspended for about three weeks.
From early August to early September work will be carried out on the Union Street side of the building and Union Street will operate eastbound only between Blackfriars Road and Nelson Square. Signage at the Great Suffolk Junction will advise westbound vehicles that entry into Union Street is for access to Nelson Square only, with other westbound traffic diverted north along Great Suffolk Street and via Southwark Street and Blackfriars Road. A contra-flow cycle lane will operate westbound on Union Street, with a barrier to segregate this from the main eastbound traffic. The attached map shows the diversion route.
Union Street will be returned to two-way operation as soon as possible and the remaining works, on Gambia Street and on the north side of the building, will be carried out in September and early October.
Zuma taxi rank
A taxi rank has been appointed for Zuma in Raphael Street. The rank is for three taxis and is in two portions, with the first portion directly outside of the door of Zuma.
The rank operates between 18:30 and 08:30. The taxi rank will be closely monitored and it is essential that drivers do not obstruct other vehicles or block the access to the buildings near Zuma, otherwise the rank may have to be removed.
ME hotel taxi rank
A two space taxi rank has been appointed for the ME Hotel, Aldwych. This is not a new rank but we’ve not mentioned it here before. The rank operates 24 hours a day and please make sure you support this so that guests at the hotel can quickly and easily get a taxi.
Events and road closures
You can find information about major public events and works in London that involve road closures and could therefore disrupt traffic on the TfL website here. Live traffic news and disruptions taking place on London’s major roads can also be found on the TfL website here.
Upcoming events include:
– Friday 28 June 2013, The City of London Festival’s Children’s Parade takes place between 12.45-13.30. Roads closed to allow the parade to take place are Gresham Street, Old Jewry, Poultry, Cheapside, Newgate Street, Warwick Lane, Ave Maria Lane and Paternoster Square. The road closures will be between 12:00 and 14:00 and attached is a map showing the parade route.
– There are various events at Alexandra Palace including the Cyprus Wine Festival & Business Exhibition on Saturday 29 to Sunday 30 June 2013. There are two taxi ranks at Alexandra Palace – one near the main entrance to the Palm Court bar for smaller events and one in the east car park for larger events such as concerts. More information about upcoming events is available here.
– Saturday 27 to Sunday 4 July 2013 Virgin London Triathlon
– Saturday 3 to Sunday 4 August 2013, RideLondon FreeCycle, Grand Prix, London to Surrey 100 and the London to Surrey Classic events all take place
– Wednesday 11 to Sunday 15 September 2013 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final
– Sunday 22 September 2103 Tour of Britain Final Stage